Friday, October 28, 2011

Anniversary Quilt!


I began this quilt in 1987. I received the fabric as a 2nd anniversary gift("go buy enough fabric for a quilt") from my Mother-In-Law, LaVonne. She also started me quilting, the same year by taking me with her to 2 beginner quilting classes.
Armed with that extensive foundation(!), I began cutting and piecing this wonderful "Broken Star", from a picture I'd seen in a quilting magazine!

This project was backseated repeatedly through the years, as I learned about machine piecing, and friends and family married and had babies...

I finally determined to finish it once and for all this past winter, quilting the last stitch 24 years later, on our 26th anniversary!


I am so happy to be able to share this accomplishment through the Bloggers Fall Quilt Festival!

post script: I have so enjoyed participating in this online quilt festival! I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to look at my quilt! I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing and reading about so many beautiful quilts!
Here is a picture of my handsome helpers, who were slightly aghast at my willingness to drape it out in the dirt:)

Even as they look at these pictures, they comment about their disbelief and disapproval! :)

29 comments:

  1. Oh, what a lovely quilt, truly timeless. And I rejoice in your finish!
    And I can't stop smiling at those lovely boys of yours. You are blessed!
    :)
    Greetings from Cyprus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt! What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a beautiful quilt!
    What a great finish! :o)
    Have a nice weekend.
    Sincerely, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning quilt! What a treasure!
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done for getting this beauty! It deserves to be admired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the quilt!

    Margaret
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great anniversary gift for yourself and your husband. A future heirloom for your family all hand quilted- Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your quilt!! It's absolutely beautiful!! I'm so glad you got it finished and shared it with us. What a special gift your mother in law gave you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful! (And so are your boys) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. very special and unique. beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's best not to rush into some things! I have a few projects "aging" myself. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful way to celebrate an anniversary. STUNNING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so appreciate all your kind and enthusiastic comments! Seriously, I had grown pretty bored with this quilt...but finishing it really refreshed my feelings for it...so happy to finally have it on our bed:) It was fun to have the boys excited for me to finish it, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful achievement! Love your beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful quilt - and so fun to have it finally finished! =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful quilt, beautiful sentiments, a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Being an official Slow Poke quilter, I can appreciate the time and determination it took to complete this lovely star quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. That was a big task to take on when you were first quilting. Glad you stuck with it and finished it. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilt is so very beautiful! i am happy you finished it and shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that is a quilt with history. Even unfinished, it's been with you for life's events. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is just beautiful--the colour gradations glow so wonderfully, and your quilting--oh my!

    Hazle

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a stunning quilt. I can't imagine how long it would take me to make one of those. :)

    Mary
    http://www.quiltgenius.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE YOUR QUILT!!!!!!
    BYE FROM ITALY

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful quilt! Congrats on such a lovely family, too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my! This quilt is so wonderful. Congrats on a superb finish!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is beautiful! Well worth the wait:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stunning quilt...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete